This is an easy old-fashioned kind of salad made with simple ingredients and topped with a chilli peanut dressing. It’s often the kind of salad we would get when we go home to visit our kampung (Malaysian village). You could say this is comfort food in salad form.
Some Prep, a Little Art Arrangement and Voila!
We love how easy this salad is to put together. While the peanuts, eggs and tofu require a tiny bit of cooking, everything else just needs a good wash and slice.
The way that this egg salad is arranged makes it quite a fun dish to put together with your kids. It starts with a bed of lettuce arranged like petals on a flower followed by a layer each of thinly sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, tofu and finally eggs. While those are all the vegetable ingredients we used, you are certainly not limited this list.
Egg Salad with Chilli Peanut Dressing
- 130g or 1 large tomato, sliced
- 70g or 1 firm tofu
- 3 large eggs
- 120g or 1 Japanese cucumber, sliced
- 1 head of romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 150g peanuts
- 1/2 cup chilli sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Toast the peanuts for 5 to 7 minutes on dry pan. You’ll know they are ready when you notice that the skin breaks up and you can hear popping sounds. Remove from pan. Allow peanuts to cool. Remove the skin and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a pan. Add tofu and fry until they are golden brown. Remove from oil onto a paper towel to drain some of the excess oil. Thinly slice the tofu. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and gently add eggs. Boil for 8 to 12 minutes depending on how firm you prefer your yolks to be. Prepare an ice bath. Remove eggs from the hot water and dip into an ice bath to cool and instantly stop the cooking process. Remove the shell. Slice and set aside.
- Wash all your vegetables. Separate all the lettuce leaves and slice your tomatoes and cucumbers so that they are about 1/2cm in thickness.
- Arrange everything on a serving plate. The lettuce leaves go on first and form a bed to hold the other components together. Follow with sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, sliced tofu and eggs.
- Time to make the sauce. Roughly blend or chop the skinless peanuts.
- Put the chopped peanuts into a bowl. Add chilli, garlic, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix together.
- That’s it! You can choose to serve the salad with the dressing already poured over it or keep it separate.
Toasted Coconut Coated Salads and More
If you’re looking for more traditional salad recipes, check out our Kerabu Pegaga or Urap Pegaga and Ulam Raja recipes. Both these tasty salads feature herbs we feel should be considered the next superfood. The ingredient pegaga not only keeps you looking young but has brain boosting properties as well.
Both salads are coated with delicious toasted coconut and blended chillies. Yes another spicy salad. What can we say, Malaysians love spicy food!
Of course, we have more than salads. Check in with us on Butterkicap.com or follow us on our Instagram or Facebook as we try out and post new recipes. If you have any recipes of your own to share, please do contact us on our social media platforms. We’re a community of foodies just wanting to share our recipes and spread our love for Malaysian food.