It’s one of those days where you’ve got a nice pot of steaming hot rice all freshly cooked and ready, but have no idea what to eat with it. How about making some Chinese-style steamed eggs? It’s very easy, fairly quick, and only requires a few ingredients you probably have stocked in your fridge already. All you need is a bowl and zero cooking, as long as your rice is still keeping warm in its pot.
- 2 eggs
- 1 spring onion
- 1 red chili
- 1/8 tsp (a couple of dashes) black pepper
- ½ tsp (a dash) soy sauce
- 1 tsp water
Making Chinese-style steamed eggs
- Crack both eggs into a small clean bowl.
- Chop your spring onion small.
- Slice red chilies thinly. You can deseed them first if you don’t like your dishes too spicy.
- Add some black pepper, followed by a dash of soy sauce.
- Finally, just a little bit of water.
- With a fork, beat all the ingredients until they are thoroughly combined.
- Open the lid of your rice cooker and place the bowl of eggs over the top of your rice. Close the lid and leave for 10 minutes.
- That’s it! After 10 minutes, your Chinese style-steamed eggs are perfectly cooked from the heat of the rice cooker and is ready to eat.
- As long as your rice cooker is big enough and you can still cover the lid of your rice cooker, you can double or triple up this recipe using a larger bowl.
- However, if that is not the case, using a regular steamer will also work! Just let the eggs cook covered in a steamer for about 10 minutes or until completely cooked through.
- Steamed eggs are best served hot.
This recipe for Chinese-style steamed eggs is perfect for one. For more details on how to prepare steamed eggs, check out my YouTube video or watch it below. I’ve also shared a few more egg recipes that I hope you will enjoy.