Whether you are single or a parent of two,
you will always feel like a child when you have…
MAK’S STIR FRY PRAWNS
- 1 kg of large or medium-sized sea prawns with shell still on (trimmed and cleaned)
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- 3 large red onions (sliced thinly)
- 2 stalks of curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 1 large fresh tomato (chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons of thick tamarind (asam jawa) juice
- 2 tablespoons of gula melaka granules
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 4 tablespoons of flavourless cooking oil
- Marinade prawns in turmeric powder. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil until smoking hot.
- Fry the prawns, careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for 3 minutes until shells change colour and turmeric is browned. Set the prawns aside.
- Add in the remainder of the oil whilst the pan is still hot.
- Add in curry leaves with stalks. Once it sizzles and leaves are separated, take out the stalks and leave behind the leaves.
- Add in onions and chilli powder.
- Fry until onions and chilli powder have caramelized.
- Once onions have caramelized, add in tomato, tamarind juice and the gula melaka. Let simmer.
- Return the prawns to the pan and stir fry until it becomes dry.
- Season with salt and pepper. 1/2 a teaspoon of each is more than enough.