For days when you are busy at work,
ease your hunger with a plate of steaming hot rice and SOTONG HITAM!
- 2 large red onions
- 1 teaspoon of belacan
- 1 stick of lemongrass (serai)
- 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric (kunyit) powder
- 5 large fresh white squids
- 3 tablespoons of flavorless cooking oil
- 1/2 a teaspoon sugar
- Salt and finely ground black pepper
Suggestion: If you like your food spicy, add 1 teaspoon of chilli powder with the onion mixture
- Remove the ink bags from the squid and set them aside.
- Clean, skin and slice the squid into 1 cm rings.
- Blend the onions and the belacan together.
- Heat up the oil in a pan.
- Bruise the lemongrass and add it to the hot oil along with the onion and belacan mixture. Friy until fragrant but only until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the tumeric powder and mix well.
- Add in the squid ink bags.
- Stir through until the onion mixture turns greyish black or black depending on how much ink the squid had.
- Add in the squid rings. Stir through until just tender.
- Add salt, sugar and finely ground black pepper as needed.
- Serve with steaming hot white rice. Yum!