Keep those germs at bay! This quick how to guide to sterilise your jars will show you how to prevent contamination and lengthen the shelf life of your home made sauces, jams or sambals.
What you’d need
• Large pot
What you should do
1. Place empty jars in a large pot.
2. Completely submerge the jars with water.
3. Bring to boil on high heat.
4. Leave to boil for 15 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat.
6. Use tongs to remove the jars to dry. Begin filling your jars while they are still warm. If you’re not ready to fill them, leave the jars in the hot water. They will remain sterilised for up to an hour in the hot water.
Note: Do not boil the lids of your jars. Add the lids in after you turn of the heat and the jars have finished boiling.
There you have it. Nice squeaky clean sterilised jars in just 20 minutes! Sterilising your jars properly will help increase the shelf-life of those lovely jams and sambals you spend so much making.