Making a jar of your own homemade jam is surprisingly easier that you might think. In this quick and simple guide, I’ll show you how to make my SugarLou strawberry jam with a step-by-step recipe that yields approximately 300 grams of jam.
The great thing about supermarkets these days is that most places come with a pretty big supply of fresh strawberries that are both imported and grown right here in Malaysia. Don’t worry too much about the occasional sourness of most strawberries sold here, because my recipe will make up for that sour tinge with a carefully calculated amount of sugar to nicely balance the taste of your jam.
SugarLou’s Simple Strawberry Jam is simple and packed with fruit and everything good. Unlike store bought brands that may have preservatives or tend to be full of sugar, making your own jam at home allows you to create jam that will taste fresh and guaranteed to be healthier for you and your family.
- 300 grams strawberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (use essence if you don’t have vanilla bean)
- Zest from one whole lemon
- Juice from one whole lemon
- Prepare one 12-ounce sterilized jar.
- Chop your strawberries into big chunks (cut in half if you are using small strawberries).
- In a saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar, vanilla bean, lemon juice and lemon zest over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. (Tip: if you do not have vanilla beans, you can substitute with essence but only add it in after jam is taken off the heat).
- Transfer the hot jam into hot sterile jars, leaving some space at the top, and seal.
Any day is a good day for making jam, you can use it on your toast or even your cakes. Want to see how I use homemade jam in beautiful cakes? Follow me on Instagram (link to https://www.instagram.com/sugarlou22/) or Facebook (link to https://www.facebook.com/sugarloucakery/). Don’t forget to hashtag #butterkicap if you make this.