There is just something about Red Velvet cakes and cupcakes. The colour just makes you feel festive and happy. If you want a recipe that is tried and true, you won’t be disappointed with Sugarlou’s Red Velvet Cupcakes. I make them moist, satisfying and rich in flavour so that they meet the standards of even my most demanding food critic – my son.
This recipe makes 18 medium sized cupcakes.
• 1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting (Tip: If you have the budget, I recommend Ghirardelli cocoa powder. Truly decadent)
• 1 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cups sugar
• 3/4 cups melted butter (Note: Beginners can also substitute with vegetable oil)
• 2 medium eggs
• 1 tablespoons red food coloring
• 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
• 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 teaspoons white vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius and line your cupcake tray with paper cases.
2. Put the flour, salt, and cocoa in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat sugar and melted butter on medium speed until combined.
4. Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
5. Mix in food coloring and vanilla.
6. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with flour, mixing well after each addition. Do not overbeat.
7. Stir together baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl. Add baking-soda mixture to batter, and mix on medium speed for 10 seconds.
8. Spoon the batter into prepared pans. (Tip: use an ice-cream scooper for even distribution of batter)
9. Bake for 20 minutes.
10. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before applying the crowning glory; rich and decadent cream cheese frosting. Yum!
Show your family your love by making this red velvet cake recipe – it will make your kids happy. If you like beautiful cakes, follow me on Instagram or Facebook. Don’t forget to hashtag #butterkicap if you make this.