Marinated in light soy sauce and cumin seed, the Roasted Duck Tataki with Wasabi Salsa brings out the very best of Asian flavours. The tender duck breast coupled with a hint of wasabi and the sweetness of the soy sauce creates an everlasting culinary sensation that will leave you wanting more. Garnished with orange flesh and a drizzle of ponzu sauce, this dish is an indulgence – from the first bite to the last.
250 grams or 1 piece duck breast
80 grams persimmon fruit slice
1/2 piece orange julienned
1/2 piece lemon julienned
Flesh from 1 orange
1 gram cumin seeds
3 grams light soya sauce
5 grams sugar
10 grams oyster sauce
2 pinches chilli powder
2 pinches salt
2 pinches black pepper, crushed
Capers to garnish
1 gram wasabi powder
4 grams sugar
20 grams onion, finely chopped
4 grams garlic, finely chopped
40 ml grape seed oil
Salt and white pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C for at least 20 minutes.
- Trim any excess fat from the duck breast. Gently score the skin with a knife horizontally & vertically 10mm apart to produce a cross hatch pattern on the skin but do not cut through the skin. Season the skin with salt and pepper.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and marinate the duck meat in the mixture for 4 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat a frying pan on medium heat and place the duck meat skin side down. Cook until it turns a golden brown.
- Press the duck with spatula to allow the fat comes in contact with the pan, so it renders and becomes crispy.
- When the skin is crispy, turn the duck over and seal the rest.
- Transfer the duck to the oven and roast for 18 minutes at 120 C for medium doneness (leave them in the oven for 2-3 minutes more if you prefer it medium well or well done).
- Once the duck is cooked, take them out from the oven and let it rest for 2 minutes.
- Lightly grill the slice persimmon and set aside.
- To make the Wasabi Salsa, mix all the salsa ingredients together and season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Slice the duck breast across into 3mm thick pieces and arrange them along with Wasabi Salsa, orange meat, orange slices and lemon slices.
- Pour the ponzu sauce around the duck. Garnish with capers.
This duck would be perfect served for a party. Pair it with the Academy of Pastry Art’s nut and fruit loaded fruitcake.