With the topic of ‘crispy rendang’ going viral recently, one could argue that the rendang is now one of the most well-known of Malaysian beef dishes. The passion with which people spoke about rendang and defended the recipe should give you an idea of just how beloved this dish is to Malaysians. From chicken rendang, to beef rendang, we love this celebratory dish.
If you haven’t tried rendang, then you have to try it immediately. Once you get a taste of the rich, spicy and creamy Malaysian beef stew cooked coconut milk, you will be addicted. Be warned!
If you’re familiar with the world of rendangs, you know that there are so many recipes out there. Here’s another one to add to the mix. It is a simple Malaysian beef rendang recipe that will hit the spot.
Serving 6-8 person
- 800g beef (cubed)
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 300g shallots
- 80g garlic
- 80g ginger
- 140g galangal
- 80g fresh turmeric
- 100g dried chillies
- 100ml oil
- 750ml coconut milk
- 250g palm sugar
- 160g kerisik (fried desiccated coconut)
- 10 leaves Kaffir Lime (shredded)
- 1 leaf Turmeric (shredded)
- In a blender, blend lemongrass, shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal and fresh turmeric to a semi fine texture.
- Cut the dried chillies into 1 inch long pieces, and boil in water for 20 minutes.
- Strain the boiled chillies and blend them with 200ml water in a blender.
- In a sauce pot, heat oil and sauté all blended ingredients (step 1 and 3) till fragrant.
- Add in beef and coconut milk and 250ml water, cook on high heat till a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add in the Kerisik, shredded Kaffir lime & turmeric leaf, continue to simmer until the beef is tender and the gravy has reduced to the desired consistency.
- Lastly, add in palm sugar and season to taste.
- Enjoy Malaysia’s favourite beef rendang dish!